Sunday, August 7, 2016

Autism, Aggressive Behaviors, Becoming a Detective

Aggressive Behaviors; Becoming a Detective

Working with Aiden has helped me become a better detective at figuring out what his behaviors are telling me about how he feels in a given moment. I know, in my head, when he grabs aggressively or hits me, to silently turn away and give him space.  If I’m physically close to him, I become an easier target for him to use to vent his feelings of anger, frustration and/or anxiety.  During these times, I may forget and respond with words, such as, “where are your hands supposed to be”?
While he’s calming down, I’m reviewing the last interactions in my mind, looking for the triggers of his aggressiveness.  How could I have behaved differently? What was his behavior telling me?
·        His anxiety and frustration were higher, noted by his facial expressions. I could have changed the subject and done something more spontaneous and playful with him through song or rhyming words.
·        I could have checked for this feelings and anxiety level before beginning the lesson.

·        I need to remember to stand behind me to the side to protect myself more efficiently when he’s upset.
·        Whenever he’s upset, remember to back away silently for a few seconds. Then, I can ask him if going to his quiet place would help him calm down.  If he says yes, then he’s back in the thinking part of his brain.  I give him that time and space. He’s getting better at calming himself down when he’s alone.
·        If he grabs me, I usually freeze, turning away from him slightly. After a few moments of my silence, he usually lets go and we move forward.


I gladly welcome any comments about what I could have done differently or any other ideas on how to help Aiden feel less anxious in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment