Monday, August 22, 2016

Autism, Distractions and RPM (Rapid Prompting Method)


            Last week I arrived at Aiden’s house to find him agitated.  Him and his body was tense, he was making noises and muttering instead of using his words, and he was walking briskly around the garage space with a frown on his face. I reached for the feelings chart and placed it in front of him.

            ML:      Aiden, look at the feelings chart so you can show me how you're                            feeling. What  color are you right now?

            A:         He sits down on a large exercise ball and hits my legs. My dad!                              I'm standing more in front of him and behind him. I move my                                body behind him, pointing to the color chart. He points to the red                          letting me know he's mad. When I turn it over to the anxiety                                  number line, I asked him what level is his anxiety from 1 to 10.                              He points to the number 10.

            ML:      Holding the letter board in front of him, I asked him, “What is it                            that's making you feel mad and anxious today?”

            A:         He spells the sentence, “I want to go for a walk.”

            ML:      I write this sentence down on a sheet of paper and then hand it to                          him to write it down as well using my words as a model. When                              he’s done, I ask, “If you do go for a walk, will your mad and                                  anxious feelings go away or become smaller?”

            A:         He softly replies, “Yes.”

            ML:      As I placed the letter board in front of him, I respond with,                                    “Great! What do you need to do before you can take a walk?”

            A:         He spells out the sentence, “I have to do my work.”

            ML:      “And why do we do the work?”

            A:         He answers on the letter board, “So I can learn new things and                              help my brain gets smarter.”

            ML:      “That's a great answer! Let’s go upstairs to your desk and do you                           work for 45 minutes and them will go for your walk.”


            A:         He looks more relaxed as he gets up to walk to his room.

No comments:

Post a Comment