Monday, September 19, 2016

Autism, RPM and Handwriting


Aiden and I were beginning our day together when I spoke. “Your mom tells me you hate writing sentences. Tell me about it.” I handed him the letter board and he spelled, “its hard work.”  I answered by stating, “Do you want to know why I have you write sentences?” He nodded a yes.

“Soma wants you to write sentences because it helps your brain work better and makes it easier for you to remember things we go over with your studies.” I then write down some of the reasons why hand writing is important:

1.      It can have a calming effect as it keeps your mind focused on doing something rather than feeling anxious.
2.      It balances the left and right hemispheres of the brain.
3.      It strengthens your cognitive, thinking skills.
4.      It inspires creativity.
5.      It improves memory.
6.      It uses more part of your brain, like a muscle to make it stronger.


After that, he was quiet and calm, doing his academic work with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment